Bluff Plantation’s Medical Director in U.S. News on Recognizing Signs of an Alcohol Problem
Recently, our very own Dr. Jacobs outlined five major signs of alcohol abuse or dependence for a story in U.S. News.
Recently, our very own Dr. Jacobs outlined five major signs of alcohol abuse or dependence for a story in U.S. News. The full article can be read here.
- One is a high tolerance for alcohol, which means a person drinks increasing amounts of alcohol. Someone with a high tolerance may drink more than others without showing obvious signs of intoxication.
- Another sign is having withdrawal symptoms when not drinking. These symptoms include anxiety, trembling, jumpiness, sweating, nausea and vomiting, insomnia, irritability, depression, fatigue, headaches and loss of appetite. Some people suffer potentially life-threatening withdrawal seizures, Jacobs said in a university news release.
- People with a drinking problem often spend less time on activities that used to be important to them because their drinking is consuming more of their time, energy and focus.
- Those who are addicted to alcohol may continue to drink despite negative consequences. Work troubles, damage to a marriage or other relationships or health problems are some possible consequences.
- The fifth sign is that someone can’t quit or reduce their drinking even when they want to.